Monday 11 September 2017

I Heart New York - Lindsey Kelk

I Heart New York – Lindsey Kelk




Let me paint a picture for you, it is a gloomy, wet Sunday, not quite cold enough to put the heating on, but chilly enough to dig out the slipper boots from under the shamefully dust ridden bed. Settled down nice and cosy on the sofa, with very little to watch on TV until X Factor starts at 8pm. The choice of picking up a quick, fun read springs to mind. After a scroll through Amazon Kindle and spying one of my favourite authors Lindsey Kelk’s selection of books, and a title containing one of my favourite cities. I Heart New York seemed the perfect match for the day.

Angela’s running from the world’s worst wedding for a new life…
Fleeing her cheating boyfriend clutching little more than a crumpled bridesmaid dress, a pair of Louboutins and her passport, Angela jumps on a plane - destination NYC.
Holed up in a hotel room, Angela gets a New York makeover from her NBFJenny and a whirlwind tour of the city that never sleeps. Before she knows it, she’s dating two sexy guys and writing about it in her new blog. But it's one thing telling readers about your romantic dilemmas, it's another figuring them out for yourself …
Angela has fallen head over heels for the big apple, but does she heart New York more than home?


To my delight, I Heart New York is the first book in the ‘I Heart.. .’ series, a series I shamefully have not encountered until now. I Heart New York was a fun, easy read. It was just what I needed to read to pass the time on my Sunday, and already it has me hooked enough that I am set to buy the next book in the series as soon as this is posted.

A Singles Girls To Do List, another of Lindsey’s works has been an all-time favourite of mine. So I should have expected no less from picking up this series. Maybe it was the similarity in my age to that of the character in the book. But without knowing it, I needed to read a novel about someone finding themselves again. Seeing a character uncover an inner strength they never really knew they had inside them. Angela, was a brilliant protagonist from start to finish. We see her grow as a person; grow with confidence, passion and her career. All things maybe a few of us hold ourselves back from doing from fear of failure or the fear of the unknown. Angela was the definition of, it is never too late to change what you hate, to change the path you feel you have been dealt, as at the end of the day, you are the one in control. So essentially live the life that you want to live.

I Heart New York was filled with an array of characters, from Jenny Lopez at the hotel, a fun vibrant character, who really helped Angela come out her shell. There was also Gina, Jenny’s friend from the hotel and old flat mate, as well as Vanessa and Erin too. A great group of girls who not only had fun with each other, but also all became a support system for Angela, as well as towards each other as well. They each had their own hang ups to bear and battles that they are fighting through. But it was great to see the fun they all had together, and really made you feel a part of the group.

A Lindsey Kelk book would not be without its love interests, all of which I am going to be very brief about, but let’s just say I am happy with the choice, and my gut went that way the entire time. Lindsay just knows how to get them right all the time. I say that, things could all change in book two…so I could end up eating my own words….But for now. Yes!

Overall, I Heart New York, is a fun, light hearted novel, about one girls journey from one crappy situation, and just how she goes about changing that, and getting over that. It is 100% a girly series, but a great pick me up, and leaves you feeling empowered at the end. It is funny, relatable, and just one bumpy ride at times. But will have you wanting more as soon as you finish. Bring on book two!


I have given this book 4 out of 5 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment