Saturday 30 January 2016

The Book of Ivy - Amy Engel



The Book of Ivy – Amy Engel


I stumbled across The Book of Ivy a couple of weeks ago, but due to such a busy work schedule i only got round to picking this up the other day. I had seen a few reviews and YouTube videos about this book, but i never really took in exactly what it was about. But since picking it up, and finishing the book in just under two days, i have to say it was not only unique, but brilliant as well.

After a brutal nuclear war, the United States was left decimated. A small group of survivors eventually banded together, but only after more conflict over which family would govern the new nation. The Westfalls lost. Fifty years later, peace and control are maintained by marrying the daughters of the losing side to the sons of the winning group in a yearly ritual.

This year, it is my turn.

My name is Ivy Westfall, and my mission is simple: to kill the president’s son—my soon-to-be husband—and restore the Westfall family to power.

But Bishop Lattimer is either a very skilled actor or he’s not the cruel, heartless boy my family warned me to expect. He might even be the one person in this world who truly understands me. But there is no escape from my fate. I am the only one who can restore the Westfall legacy.

Because Bishop
must die. And I must be the one to kill him…

When i read the blurb for this book i was hooked, it drew me in instantly and i had to know more. I had never really heard of Amy Engel as an author before, so went into this book open minded about the journey i was about to take.

Ivy Westfall is our narrator; we see this journey from her eyes only. I thought Ivy was an interesting character, the constant turmoil, differing opinions and the strong influence from her father and older sister Callie. Right from the start of this book, i already suspected something wasn’t right, and i instantly felt sorry for Ivy for being put in such a situation.

Each character within this story had completely different depths to them, Bishop, the president’s son, not really acting how he is portrayed, or being similar to that of his parents. President Lattimer and his wife, i found the president to be ‘deadly kind’. I say that as he is one of those characters who come across friendly and kind, but there is deadliness to it. You just don’t know how true his character is, and just at what moment it can all turn against you. The relationship between Bishop and his mother was a strange one, she seemed to care about Ivy making him happy, yet had no real connection with her son, no motherly bond with him at all.

The relationship with Ivy and her sister Callie, as well as her father, I found to be a strange one. It immediately felt false, like Ivy was just being used, there was no real concept of love and affection. I took an immediate dislike to Callie, she seemed vindictive and nasty, yet even though she was Ivy’s sister i just did not trust her at all.

The concept of this story was brilliant; i loved the premise behind it especially the arranged marriages in order to keep the peace. It was interesting the various stories and people we meet and just how different their experiences have been with the marriages. Also the stark difference in opinions from separate sides of the town and just how they come together.

The writing style in this book was brilliant, it kept you hooked and gave the right amount of depth and detail to the story, you instantly developed a relationship with the main character. I thoroughly enjoyed Amy’s writing style, and the pace she carried out throughout this book. I also clung to that cliff hanger like no tomorrow, and immediately bought the next book for my kindle just so i could read it instantly!

I would highly recommend this book, especially if you like something gritty, filled with secrets to be uncovered, corruption and drama. It really is a gripping book and i hated having to put it down to go to work.


I have given this book a 4.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment