Wednesday 6 May 2015

A Court of Thorns and Roses - Sarah J Maas



A Court of Thorns and Roses – Sarah J Maas


I love Sarah J Maas as an author; she is vastly becoming one of my favourite authors at the moment, with her ability to create amazing worlds and stories with such brilliant and unique characters. I truly cannot get enough of her work, and each time I finish a novel of hers, I am clinging and desperate for more. Well the same has happened with the start of her new series A Court of Thorns and Roses. I finished this book in under 24 hours of receiving it...yes that did mean staying up until half 1 at night, but was it worth it....100%! 

‘When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.

Sarah has done it again with this novel; she has intricately created a world filled with magic and mystery, and horrors too. She has created such a detailed world that you are instantly drawn in and lost within its pages. I absolutely loved this book, I cannot stress enough how much I enjoyed it, and how gutted I am that I have finished it and have to wait until next year for the second book.

The characters in this book were brilliant, and unique, Feyre was a great protagonist, and a strong lead for this book, not only being strong and independent, looking after her family in order to keep them alive, but she has that vulnerability too, the pressure of having to look after others, and no one look after her or to appreciate her. The lasting promise to her mother, to take care of her family no matter what, still haunting her each day. I felt this added great depth to her character, and made her a joy to read and watch develop. I felt for her dad, he had lost everything, and his injury and almost depression it seemed, left him incapable to help look after his daughters the way a father should have. Feyre's two sisters Nesta and Elain, were interesting. Nesta was not one of my favourite characters; she seemed selfish and materialistic, putting her own desires ahead of that which may benefit her family as a whole. My favourite characters of course were from Prythian, that of Lucien, Tamlin and even Alis. These characters were so greatly detailed, and each back story was slowly learnt through the book, creating so much depth and opportunities for more of these characters pasts to come up in further books in the series. Especially that of Lucien and his brothers, which I’m sure we will be seeing again. I loved the relationship that Feyre had with these characters, from loathing, to a friendship developing; it was a bumpy journey, but an enjoyable one none the less.

Amarantha, well what can I say about her, what a nasty piece of work she is. Obviously I have to keep detail to a minimum so as to not ruin anything in this story for you, but she certainly is no one to like in this story. I feel the only good thing to come out of meeting her was that of meeting Rhys. His mysterious character will certainly be a great one to learn more about, and I am more than certain that will happen within the next book, although personally, I really hope no love triangle forms involving him, I am team Tamlin all the way.

Some of the creatures Sarah creates within this story is truly creepy, the invisible but deadly Bogge, the Attor and even the Naga. All created in such detail that they incite fear when reading. You will Feyre on to make sure she doesn’t look at the Bogge regardless of its voice in her head and her curiosity, you will her to run as fast as she can and shoot the Naga before they can catch her. You really become absorbed into the story and the terrors within it.

The storyline was brilliant and flowed perfectly, ensuring we remained engaged and clinging to any and all information we were given, there were no ‘maybe I should skip this page to get to the action’ moments at all, as each page gives you something, be it about a relationship, history to the High Fae or some action or situation Feyre has put herself in.

Having read Sarah J Maas Throne of Glass series, I was truly looking forward to reading A Court of Thorns and Roses, and it is safe to say I wasn’t disappointed. I don’t really know how much more i can write to express how much I loved this book...any book that Sarah has produced. But you would be crazy to not pick it up and give it a read, as you will truly be missing out. It is a great fantasy world, with some elements of new adult in their too. It is truly a great start to the series and I cannot wait to see what more is to come. I guess the only thing to get me through this long wait now until 2016 is book 4 in the Throne of Glass series. 



I have given this a 5 out of 5 star rating

No comments:

Post a Comment